How it Works

How PerioChip works

How It Works

PerioChip is inserted subgingivally in periodontal pockets of 5 mm or more after RSD.
After insertion, the periodontal pocket fills with saliva and PerioChip becomes adhesive before it gradually dissolves over the course of 7 to 10 days.
This enables free circulation of chlorhexidine digluconate throughout the pocket.
A single PerioChip contains 2.5mg chlorhexidine digluconate. This corresponds to a concentration of 36% in the chip. Most other chlorhexidine products contain a concentration of between 0.2% to 2.0% of the active ingredient and offer very short residence at the site of infection.
PerioChip exceeds the minimum inhibitory concentration of 125 μg/mL required to prevent the biofilm from regrowing. PerioChip effectively eliminates a wide spectrum of microbes, including Porphyromonas gingivalis (Pg), Prevotella intermedia (Pi), Actinobacillus actinomycetemcomitans (Aa).

Within the first 24 hours, 40% of the dose is released. The remaining 60% is released within a period of up to ten days


“An in vivo study of the chlorhexidine release profile of the PerioChip™ in the gingival crevicular fluid, plasma and urine” Soskolne, A. et al, J Clinical Periodontology, 1998, Vol.25, 1017-1021